Monday 4 April 2011

Get a Grip, People!

In May of last year I happened upon a blog that really made sense to me. I'm not always convinced by self-help but I liked the tone of this one. The first post I read went like this:


Give Yourself Permission


Not just to fail, but to do anything you like. Give yourself permission to go out and get smashed. Give yourself permission to have a duvet day or pull a sickie.
It’s OK. The world will not fall apart.
If you harbor guilt and you’re looking over your shoulder, you’re not looking in front of you.
So what do you want to do? You want to say to your wife “Listen, I’m going out with the boys”? Say it. MTFU and give yourself permission.
You want to tell your husband “I don’t feel like cooking for you tonight?” Don’t say that. Say “I’m not cooking for you tonight.”
You asked yourself, so you asked all the people that mattered, and they said it was OK.
The only person that matters is you.
Give yourself permission.
Idealistic? Maybe. Achievable? Why not? Whatever, it made me think, and something about that simple instruction to actually do what we already know we should do appealed to me.  So I began to follow How to Get a Grip and  found plenty more of this simple, straight-forward advice.  I thought it would make a great book and before long was in touch with the author of the blog and we'd cooked up a plan to take the greatest bits of How to Get a Grip (the blog) and turn it into the only self-help book you'll ever need. 
And here it is:

Matthew Kimberley is the considerable force behind the blog and the book and he tells you more about it here:

Quick - do as he says - Now!
1. Order your copies at Amazon.co.uk if you’re in the UK.
2. If you’re not in the UK, order your copies at the Book Depository.
5. Leave your review somewhere we can read it.
THANK YOU

No comments:

Post a Comment